A show-stopping and tastebud-popping tiny taco for spring. Serve as party small bites or as part of your usual Taco Tuesday tradition, ditching the tortillas for a super veggie-packed meal. A perfect way to get the kiddos eating kohlrabis. But our favorite part is that hands-on prep is only 15 minutes and the meat cooks and caramelizes low and slow in the crockpot all day.
Mini Kohlrabi Korean Short Rib Tacos with Garlic Scapes
3 lb beef short ribs
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp ginger root, minced
½ cup soy sauce
¼ cup rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tsp sriracha, plus more for serving
3 tbsp honey
2 kohlrabis, with at least a 3-inch diameter
2 garlic scapes
— black sesame seeds, for garnish
- Place the short ribs in your slow cooker. In a measuring cup whisk together the garlic, ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, sriracha, and honey. Pour over the ribs.
- Cover and set the slow cooker to low and cook for 7-8 hours until the meat is falling off the bone and has caramelized around the edges. Do this overnight or in the morning before work.
- Transfer the meat to a bowl and shred with a fork, discarding the fat. Skim the fat from the remaining sauce in the slow cooker. Add up to ½ cup of sauce to the meat and gently toss.
- Using a mandonline, very thinly slice the kohlrabi into rounds to use as your taco shells. Chop the garlic scapes thinly.
- You can let everyone assemble their own tacos at the table, but these are especially impressive plated. Place 5-6 kohlrabi “taco shells” on each plate, filling it with braised beef and sprinkling with garlic scapes, sesame seeds, and a drizzle of sriracha if you’d like, or another favorite Asian condiment. Serve with rice if you’d like a heartier meal. If you have cilantro on hand it’s great here too. New favorite way to eat kohlrabi, right? Ours too.