It’s Tuesday night and you’re staring into the fridge (again) at a lonely zucchini, wondering what to make with it. Your mind is flooded with ideas. Should it be Italian? Greek? Or maybe Mexican? Am I making rice, pasta, or couscous alongside it? Or wait, maybe a soup is better. Actually now I’m kinda in the mood for a salad. Twenty minutes goes by and you haven’t started on dinner yet because too. many. options.
If this scenario repeats itself enough, you’ll either convince yourself that cooking is just too hard or you’ll make the same recipes over and over. Either way, it kills the real joy of cooking.
The secret to creativity in the kitchen and whipping things up with whatever you have on hand is pretty simple—limiting your options.
At Huckle & Goose, we hand-pick and develop each week’s recipes based on this framework. Training ourselves to think within certain parameters for each night of the week gets creative ideas flowing. Now that same zucchini on a Monday? Into a bowl it goes with some barley, maybe some spinach, and a simple vinaigrette. If it’s Friday— zucchini and feta pizza!
Traditions are formed too! How cool is it to have taco night every Tuesday or family movie night with pizza every Friday? It’s the stuff memories are made of.
Here is the breakdown and some of our favorites.
Grain Bowl or Noodle Night
Anything from traditional Italian pasta to an Asian stirfry with noodles to a bowl full of veggies and a whole grain, tossed with a vinaigrette.
- Beef & Broccoli Lo Mein
- Beet & Barley Bowl with Feta and Herbs
- Turkey Bolognese
- Cajun Chicken & Red Pepper Pasta
Anything that embraces Mexican flavors—tacos, empanadas, quesadillas, fajitas—or anything taco-like from any cuisine (filling wrapped in a shell).
- Charred Corn Taco with Tomatoes, Cotija, and Basil Jalapeño Drizzle
- Classic Beans and Greens Tacos
- Mung Bean & Cilantro Falafel Tacos
Soup, Stew, or Hearty Salad Night
- Tuscan Sausage & Kale Soup
- Celery Root and Fennel Chowder
- Southwestern Chicken Chop Salad with Cilantro Dressing
- Fattoush Salad
Meat or Fish with a Side
- Simple Schnitzel with Sautéed Cabbage and Leeks
- Roasted Salmon with Fava Bean, Asparagus, and Snap Pea Salad
- Asian Marinated Skirt Steak with Okra
- Chicken Piccata with Roasted Carrots
Sandwich or Pizza Night
Basically anything on bread, dough, or something dough-like.