It is time. To wake up and feel like a million bucks. To have an unhurried breakfast and pack the lunch of your dreams for you and any other humans in your home—big or little. This is how:
After breakfast, grab your lunchbox and pack one of these meals you made for dinner last night; include a fresh veggie and fruit too. Everything in the Dinner Plan this week is designed to be had for dinner and lunch the next day. If you’re a household of 2-3, you’ll have enough leftovers for 2. If you’re a household of 4, click the (+1) on each of the recipes (to double the ingredients in the shopping list) and make a double batch every night.
Back-to-school never looked or tasted this good.
- Moroccan Spiced Freekeh Pilaf with Carrots and Herbs
- Butternut Squash Quesadillas
- Jalapeño Chicken Salad with Homemade Aioli and Fresh Fennel
- Mini Thai Meatballs in Purple Cabbage Boats with Sriracha Mayo
- Poblano White Bean Hummus on Crisped Pita
Note: Switch any of our picks with something from the recipe catalog. We’ve designated other frugal, brown-baggable options with the lunchbox tag. And add the Lunchbox Accompaniments for Early Fall if you’d like to pack an extra fruit and vegetable.
Mini Thai Meatballs in Purple Cabbage Boats
25 minutes – prep and cook time
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 scallions, very finely minced, or shallot, 2 tablespoons very finely minced
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp dried cilantro
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- ⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs
- — grapeseed oil, for the pan
- 1 head cabbage, small, leaves removed, you’ll need about 12-16
- — sriracha mayo, for serving, add to plan if needed
- — fresh cilantro, leaves and tender stems for serving
Note: If you have these additional garnishes on hand, they make the dish a bit more special, but no less delicious without them: roasted and chopped peanuts, a sprinkling of crushed red pepper, black sesame seeds, and/or micro greens (especially scallion!).
- In a large bowl, place all the ingredients for the meatballs (turkey through breadcrumbs) and get in there with your hands, combining everything uniformly.
- Shape into small 1-inch balls; you should have between 30-40.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. While that’s getting hot, whisk together all the ingredients for the Sriracha Mayo in a very small bowl.
- Place half the meatballs into the hot pan and sear for about 1 minute. Don’t move them until they have a beautiful golden-brown crust, then flip them to sear on the other side for a minute. Now stir them around gently for 2 more minutes like a stir fry so the sides cook too. When cooked through, transfer to a plate and keep warm while you cook the other half.
- Serve in cabbage cups with the Sriracha mayo, cilantro, and any additional garnishes you may have on hand (see note).