Knowing that absolutely everything you’ll need for a proper picnic is ready and waiting in the front closet or back seat is the recipe for many springtime alfresco adventures. Pack good things to eat, run barefoot in the grass, look up and play cloud-shape games.🌾☁️
Choose one or two ways you’d like to carry everything to your picnic destination.
- French Market Basket
- Retro Cooler (more here and here)
- Classic Woven Picnic Basket
- Convertible Bag-to-Backpack
- African Bolga Basket (this and this too)
Pick a grass covering!
- Wipeable Bonded Leather Mat
- Pendleton Rollup Blanket with Waterproof Backing
- Colorful Cotton Blankets (more here)
- Waterproof Rollup Mats
Think about your food picnic style and choose the best size and type of containers to have handy. Salads and grain bowls? Stock up on a few jars. Sandwiches and wraps? Go with a couple flat stainless steel containers. Quiches? You’ll love Pie Box.
- Pie Box
- Canning Jars (or save jars and peel off the label!)
- Leakproof Stainless Steel Containers
- Leakproof Plastic Containers (these too)
- Lidded Glass Bowls
more great options: insulated casserole carrier, tiffin box, airtight stainless steel containers
Having a few fancy store-bought drinks in your pantry to grab and go is a great option, but when you’re in the mood to mix up something at home, use one of these to transport without spills.
- Weck Jars
- Classic Thermos
- When you’ve gotten to the bottom of that pretty gin bottle, peel of the label and get a leakproof top for it.
- Stainless steel water bottle
- Leakproof plastic pitcher
For less cleanup and a lighter load to lug, go with compostable dinnerware and utensils. Or be super careful and pack your dishes between linen napkins. Shatterproof picnicware is usually made from melamine, a not-so-safe material.
- Some eco-friendly brands include Susty Party, Earth’s Natural Alternative, Verterra, Leafware, Eco-Gecko.
- Shatterproof tempered glass cups
- Just in case: Maldon Sea Salt Tin & leather toothpick dispenser
For when you pack non-finger foods.
- Cutting board
- Salad tongs or cake server or serving fork and spoon
- Folding knife + corkscrew and a bottle opener
- Table in a bag
Come for the food, stay for the games.
- Portable speaker
- Fly a kite: DIY if you’re crafty, or buy from here or here
- Deck of cards and a book of game ideas
All the little extras.
- To clean up: trash bags, wipes, paper towels
- To keep cold: ice packs here and here and bottle ice packs
- Citronella candle and bug spray
- Sun screen and a sun hat
What are your must-haves? Anything we missed?